Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Daytona 500

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Daytona 500

    Looks like Jeff Burton will be on the pole for the opening race of the year, with Jeffy Gordon setting on his outside.

    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  2. #2
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    RCR and RYR cars look strong.

    Burton, Bowyer, and Harvick qualified well. Not that it means a whole helluva lot.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    Yeah, it doesn't mean much. Especially at Daytona with the 150s.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2006
    Posts
    270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    How can anyone sit around and watch a bunch of cars go around in circles? Also why do they consider the Daytona 500 the Super Bowl of Nascar but its the first race of the year? My guess is where the season is soooooo loonnnggg everyone is burned out on it at the end of the season.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member LPDBlueDevils's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    629
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    you either like racing or you don't. I personally like to watch racing, I'm not a big fan of the Daytona 500. Bristol, Richmond, and Charlotte are my favorite races to watch.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2006
    Posts
    270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    I can watch the Bristol race but the others are way too boring. I like street bike racing myself.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    I don't see how anyone can watch motorcycle racing. that is boring
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2006
    Posts
    270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    Yeah it is. But I can handle it better than Nascar. I dont even consider Nascar drivers real race car drivers. Put those guys over in Eorope on a real road course and see how long they last. I did like Nascar better before all the rule changes but now I only watch it when I am ready to take a nap. I wonder if they sing ring around the rosies out there? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Daytona 500

    Crew chief Chad Knaus calls himself an innovator in the racing world. NASCAR hasn't exactly seen it the same way. Here is a Knaus timeline that includes penalties imposed by NASCAR:

    -- March, 21, 2001: Suspended two races and fined $5,000 for using unapproved shoulder harnesses in a car driver by Stacy Compton.

    -- Oct. 22, 2001: Fined $750 for using unapproved windshield clips on Compton's car.

    -- Dec. 10, 2001: Hired by Hendrick Motorsports as crew chief for Jimmie Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet.

    -- July 11, 2002: Fined $25,000 for having improperly installed mounting bolts. The team also was docked 25 championship points and 25 owner points.

    -- July 23, 2002: Fined $5,000 for cursing during a live television interview, NASCAR's first sanction for profanity.

    -- May 21, 2003: Fined $1,000 for using an unapproved air-directional device during NASCAR's All-Star race.

    -- May 26, 2003: Signed five-year contract extension with Hendrick Motorsports.

    -- May 27, 2003: Fined $2,500 for using an unapproved refrigerant.

    -- March 15, 2005: Suspended two races and fined $35,000 because Johnson's race-winning car failed to meet the minimum height requirement during post-race inspection at Las Vegas. The team also was docked 25 championship points, which knocked Johnson out of the points lead.

    -- March 16, 2005: Appealed suspension.

    -- March 23, 2005: National Stock Car Racing Commission overturned the suspension and placed Knaus on 90 days of probation, but upheld the fine and the points penalty.

    -- Sept. 30, 2005: NASCAR changes a rule regarding shock absorbers after Knaus exploited a loophole that caused Johnson's car to fail post-race inspection at Dover International Speedway.

    -- Feb. 12, 2006: Johnson's qualifying time for the Daytona 500 was disqualified after the car failed a post-qualifying inspection.

    -- Feb. 13, 2006: Suspended from the Daytona 500 for raising the rear window on Johnson's car to alter the aerodynamics during the team's qualifying run
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •